Sunday, December 25, 2005

The Semester That Was - Chug, Chug, Chug...

Let me begin by wishing Happy Holidays to all. Speaking of holidays, I wonder if any of you heard about the controversy in the US - Bill O'Reily claimed that good Christians are offended by the phrase "Happy Holidays" replacing the more traditional "Merry Christmas". He went on record and said that liberal pussies like Jon Stewart were waging a war on Christmas...need I say more?

Well, the semester is over and I'm back in Calcutta for the winter. A lot has happened since my last blog. I shall provide brief accounts of them in this blog... a nice way to wrap up the year I suppose.


First up, I never wrote about the crazy Diwali celebrations we had at Ham this year. It was really great and I ended up earning the title of "The Drunken Swordmaster" by the end of the after party, but that's a different story all together.

Anyway, then a bunch of made a very interesting trip to New York City for Thanksgiving. Apart from our car running out of gas in Brooklyn and spending way too much time on the subway and taking wrong turns, it was a fun week. The highlight was, of course, the little party we had at Shraddha's sister's appartment... Yeah, that was a good party alright...

Snow... and lot's of it. Hamilton's been submerged in a few feet of snow in the last couple of weeks. Most of exam week, I spent cooped up in my room because I was too lasy to put on my snow boots and trek across the tundra to the dining halls.

My foster family... Gabi, Elena and Quang all went home for the break... I hope they bring back some good presents for me.

Megha got into Med School. We had a nice little farewell party for her. I think the gift we bought for her is still in the car boot!

I met Sethia in Calcutta and drove around and talked about life.
My flight from Newark to Cal was also very interesting. Met some old acquaintances...
Alex has not tried to kill me in recent history. And now I find myself submerged under a ton of editing work to do for my professor and answering millions of previously ignored emails et al.
However, I did find time to read both Eragon and its sequel Eldest. Kinda hard to swallow that the author is only a couple of years older than me and is already signing movie deals... I also managed to read Bill Bryson's "Sunburned Country" - a hillarious account of his trip across the Aussie outback. Next in line is Mishima's monumental (been a while since I've used that word) tetrology "The Sea of Fertility"...
Recently I figured out something very interesting about Bongs and why Christmas is celebrated with a lot of panache in Cal. I was driving down Park Street in Cal and I was happy to see that the street was as well decorated as any street in NYC... Although Calcutta has lost a lot of its indegenous Christian populace over the past few years under mysterious circumstances, Calcuttans still celebrate Christmas regardless of religion. After all this is the city of Mother Theresa and St. Xavier.
My guess is that because most of the good schools in the city are missionary schools like La Martinere and St. James', St. Xavier's et al... even non-Christian students inculcate a sense of Christmas spirit. However, it's still celebrated at a superficial level. I mean, unlike Durga Puja etc, families don't come together for Christmas. It's limited to an excuse for kids asking parents for presents and eating out and cakes and sweets! Nevertheless it's a fun time to be in Calcutta.
Calcutta and Bengalis are an enigma. Calcutta, during the British rule was the intellectual hub of India with the headquarters of the Indian National Congress and the Moderates (admit it, it was!) and 6 out of the countries 8 Nobel Laureates (as we bongs love pointing out). Bengalis took pride in the intellectual environment of the city and the westernization of the Bengali culture. Educated, English speaking Bengalis became, what I like to call, "brown sahibs". This colonial hangover still lingers over Calcutta although Bengalis have been outnumbered by the Marwaris. Even today you'll find gentlemen's clubs where women aren't allowed and English style pubs, a penchant for jazz and western classical, Voltaire, Marx, Milton... little things that one would associate with an educated sophisticated Englishman. Calcutta is perhaps the last stronghold for such people, for it is a city that still affords all these and actually encourages them. I feel so out of place in my own city.
Well I've droned on for a while. My glasses broke this morning but I also found out I did pretty well on my Finals...so it's win some and lose some I guess. Hope you're all having a great winter.

14 comments:

  1. As the saying goes, the last Englishman on earth will be an Indian. And probably a Bong. Or me.

    I wish some of those anglophile bongs had landed up in IIT. Here they just gas about how much they miss fish. I directed them to a pretty good Maharashtrian seafood joint, which they subsequently ignored completely, while lamenting the lack of Hilsa.

    Merry Christmas to one of my two favourite Bongs!

    (For the record, the two Physics laureates were good old Tamilians. Blood's thicker than water. Even the Hooghli.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good to have you back. today i read about a 9 month course in coffee brewing/management. was quite kicked about it and i've successfully convinced my parents of my complete lack of direction in life.
    is sethia's the six foot two maaru who's afraid of heights? what's he upto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, tis good to be back.

    Thank you Yohan, but you have to see to believe how thick the Hoogly water really is...

    By the way how's the bridge coming along?

    Pai: Coffee brewing/management? So it's about coffee brewing and management or about the similarities between coffee brewing and management? Either way I don't see what you're so kicked about, hehe.

    Yeah Sethia is the one and only... he's off to Nepal to gamble, typical Maru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you get to do field work and study the different varieties of coffee. i also happen to believe i havea special gift with recognizing coffee powders by their smell. it'll be fun. iy's like the art of wine/tea tasting and management thrown in( i don't know what that means)...it's just that phase when anything out of the ordinary looks inviting:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridge? I've put that on hold for now. I tried learning that Japanese game "Go". That was excruciatingly difficult to even begin to play well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see your mug again...

    which reminds me, Kaustubh has now officially claimed that bucket i left for you... with my blessings.

    I'll get you something else when you come to Delhi...

    By the way, Handstand is now a Grandma..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you actually attend any of the zillion parties between xmas and NYears on Park Street ? Most are pathetic imitations of a stage show at one of the most quintessential of american inventions - the strip club.

    @yohan: Fish - yes. But fresh water fish. Not sea/salt water fish which Maharashtrians so favour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:35 PM

    yes bengali's and their fixation with fresh water fish. i seem to think both taste just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally! Another update! Hope all is well with you! Soak up as much of home as you can! =D And if I don't talk to you before...Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fresh water, salt water. Why not try a new thing or two?

    Fresh water fish and salt water fish taste very different. We Central Kerala types happen to like fresh water fish better. And Tommy and co, from North Kerala, eat more sea fish.

    I ate some delicious sea food the other day. The fact that the prawns came from the sea does not detract from their taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2006 HERE I COME...

    @Yohan: 15x17 "komuke"! Do you play on the 19x19 boards or are you on the 12x12 ones? Go is awesome and I agree really hard to play. But awefully addicting...

    Vaks: Hanstand's a grandma! Wow, now I feel old. Yeah I spoke to Cow-us-tub, and his rightful claim on the bucket.

    @Bengali guy: no, just drove by Park Street, didn't go to any of the parties.

    On the fish issue, I personally prefer sea food, the exotic kind, but most Bengalis, including me dad, prefer the smaller, fresh water variety.

    Maggie: Happy New Year to you too, hope New Jersey is treating you well. I shall return to challenge you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was learning on a virtual 9x9 board, and that was hard enough. I gave up actually. No one I know plays it (in real life, if you follow me).

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's not entirely true, there's a Go club in college (well there's also a scrabble and whatnot club, but never mind)... these kids are basically Japan buffs, they just play, or pretend to play Go as it's Japanese, but a couple of these kids, like this girl Nancy is pretty serious about it.

    The club screened this particular series called "Hikaru No Go" once, (these Japs make films on everything from table-tennis ("Ping Pong") to noodles ("Tampopo")... and I was quite weirded out by how seriously people take this stuff. Even techniques on how to hold and place stones is hard-core stuff to master.

    I'm a beginner, like you I play on a 9x9 board, usually with Nancy who gives me a 3 stone handicap, and I know some of the basic openings and strategies like "komuke" and "snake eyes" etc. I don't get to play enough and prefer chess since I can find opponents easily. Never tried virtual games.

    Go also came up in our Game Theory class. We were talking about how a computer calculated that in "connect 4" white can always win, but that is an impossible prediction to make in go, at least at the current level of technology, becuase there are far too many set ups.

    'Nuff droning...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bring it on. =D

    ReplyDelete