Saturday, June 10, 2006

Please Don't Talk

So I'm in Boston for my internship. Have been here only four days but I can easily say it beats the hell out of NYC. I never really got why people loved NYC. It's dirty, crowded, and a lot of people I've encountered there are RUDE. I mean, it has a lot of hustle and bustle but you can find that in pretty much any other city. Who knows.

My internship is pretty cool in that I don't do bitch work nor am I just relegated to getting some higher-up his/her coffee. I actually DO work. When I tell some of my friends about it, they just laugh because it's a bit unbelievable that I ACTUALLY have a job. Not that I never wanted one before and felt like mooching off the parents, but I've never had a REAL job in my life. During high school, I never really had the need to work and my parents didn't want a job to interfere with schoolwork. Meanwhile, a lot of my friends had jobs pretty much all year round. In college, I finally got a job last year but it wasn't REALLY a job. I pretty much got paid to do my homework or nothing at all (gotta love workstudy) so it doesn't really count. At my internship, all I do is write and edit, which is not bad at all. I'm thinking this is the kinda stuff I want to do for the rest of my life. Most likely anyways.

In my spare time here, I've been cooking for myself (another shocker because I hate cooking - I've never really excelled at it), watching TV, watching movies, and doing some work I bring home from the internship. I was thinking of getting a part-time job but we'll see. Will have to explore a bit first.

Here are the movies I've seen (just thought I'd share):
1) Sleepless in Seattle - have seen it a million times and it never gets old. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.
2) Tristan & Isolde - it was actually pretty good. Had some action and romance; interesting twist to the Romeo and Juliet-type story. Not too mushy or cheesy, like I was afraid it would've been. Though it doesn't hurt that I love James Franco..haha (ever since the TV show Freaks and Geeks...classic)
3) Just My Luck - stupidass Lindsay Lohan movie. Should've known. Why did I watch it? I have no idea.
4) Transamerica - Either Felicity Huffman was robbed of the Oscar or Reese Witherspoon was freakin unbelievably, outrageously better (haven't seen Walk the Line yet so I can't judge). It was a very touching movie but the subject matter might be a bit too...out-of-the-ordinary...for some, but if you are comfortable with it, it's definitely a worthy watch.

Hopefully, I can get to Glory Road and Imagine Me and You tonight. If you haven't already guessed, I'm a huge movie lover.

What else? Oh, so I've been hearing about this whole Ann Coulter controversy. What a bitch. Personal feelings aside, she's an ignorant, propagandizing, heartless idiot. Is it not logical to demand an explanation from the government for such a tragedy? I mean, the scale of it aside, any sort of oversight by the government should be taken seriously. No matter what party you're affiliated with, (Democrats, Republicans, Independents, and WHATEVER other party), you should always keep a check on the government. She's talking about the wives exploiting their husbands' deaths but she's the one who's exploiting the tragedy of 9/11 and these families for the sake of her damn book. How much do you wanna bet that if she didn't make these outrageous claims, her book wouldn't be #1 on amazon.com or wherever else?? And that's another thing. It just makes me sad and pissed off that people buy into this crap. Goddamnit.

You know what else is sad? That the constitutional ban on gay marriage just barely missed being passed. Sure, it didn't pass because it fell short of the 2/3 majority needed, but the votes were 49-48. That is just unnervingly close. Even though it didn't pass, I feel like the country has taken a million steps back in terms of civil rights. First, the limitation on who you can or cannot marry. What's next? Overturning Roe v. Wade? (Sadly, it's getting there.) No, better yet, let's just make things easier and overturn the 14th amendment so we can discriminate against anyone and everyone. Screw due process and equal protection.

2 comments:

  1. Who're you interning with in Boston?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, what a gargoyle. Coulter, I mean. Do people take her seriously?

    ReplyDelete