Saturday, October 21, 2006

Half Step Down

I just finished watching The Departed and I'm very disappointed. Leonardo DiCaprio was actually pretty good here but otherwise, the movie was lacking without even comparing it to Infernal Affairs, the original Hong Kong movie which is the basis for The Departed. There were plot holes left and right and Jack Nicholson and Matt Damon's characters were too one-dimensional. Not to mention some of the unncessary gore and sex. Do all American movies have to include such crap all the damn time? It didn't add anything to the freakin plot.

And don't even get me started on the ending. Ridiculous. I will not ruin the movie for those who haven't seen it and want to. Instead, I will rant more (with spoilers) in my own blog at some point. I haven't written there in forever.

Overall, I'm just sad that a lot of people will have no idea that The Departed is a remake. And even if they do, they will write off Infernal Affairs because it doesn't have a "happy" ending like The Departed and almost every other American movie even though it is such a better movie.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:59 AM

    Hey Maggie,
    You'll be glad, that some of us were well informed about the greatness of the ORIGINAL movie. My chinese friends here in Singapore were also up in arms, after watching. I didn't like it all that much..what's with the cheezy dialogues, didn't do Jack Nicholson any justice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen Part 2 or 3... not as good as part 1, but still better than The Departed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear others are informed. There is still hope left in the world...haha.

    ReplyDelete