Friday, April 27, 2007

Those days are gone...

Yesterday, a friend of mine said to me, 'How can you drink this? It's disgusting.'

Maity and I, with three others, decided to go to a pub in the afternoon yesterday. It had been a while since I went to a pub. Without any second thought, I asked for a double black label with ice. Priya decided to take a sip from my glass, and that was when she said that to me.

I had my beer days, followed my gin/vodka/rum and now I have switched to whiskey. I also used to say at one point in life, 'geez, whiskey is damn bitter'. May be I am getting old, or I am just getting tired of mixed drinks. I like whiskey. Whiskey is good. What do ladies' know about a gentleman's drink anyway (sincere apologies to exceptions)?

Poor Maity was warned by the bartender for drinking whiskey without an ID. I almost got into trouble for giving him the drink.

What's worse than going to an expensive theater in London and not liking the play at all? - Drinking tons of expensive alcohol at a London pub and not getting drunk even a bit.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've built up quite the tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Pragyan is a machine. He can't get drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well honestly which student goes to a bar and orders Black Label??

    How old do you have to be to drink in the UK? 21?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 16 if you want beer I think, 18 for anything else. Which is why it makes it even funnier to hear about Maity getting told off for drinking.
    But actually Delhi's the worst that way. Legal drinking age is twenty-five, and a lot of pubs ignore that if you don't look too obviously underage (under 21, that is) but some places ask for id and boot you out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 18 is the age! The bartender wasn't satisfied with a long beard and a mustache that Maity had. He wasn't even satisfied with an international student ID. He wanted either a passport or a driver's license, nothing else.

    Maity should agree with me as far as the quality of drinks are concerned. The alcohol we buy can get us drunk easily but there is definitely something wrong with pub drinks.

    We rarely drink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One soon learns which Delhi pubs make a fuss about age limits, and which don't. The fussy ones are mainly in CP!

    And they do it so slimily... let you enter, show you to a table, give you the (drinks) menu... and then when you order alcohol they say "no, sorry"... and then you have to get up and walk out, feeling all self-conscious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it's mainly CP that creates a fuss, though I noticed that on the days when I went for a drink straight from the office they didn't bounce us..must remember to dress like I'm 35 next time I go there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You went to CP for a drink from an office in Def Col?

    labjsyaf: Hot Muslim chick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:15 AM

    what happened to Jayant joining? I await his presence eagerly. Praggy do you know (of) Jayant?
    Have you exams started? Good luck all of you!
    Just caught spiderman-3. Nice. Embarrassing to the viewer at times, and tobey maguire looks terrible with that double chin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jayant joining what? Where?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Pai, I have no idea who Jayant is.

    Our exams start in mid-May. Tension's building up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jayant Sriram is joining this blog?

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Now that'd be worth seeing!

    Embarrassing to the viewer... never heard that before! How pretty is she though?

    udkbg: Suburb of Duckberg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jayant is a batchmate of ours (me, Maity and Pai) from St Stephen's. I don't think my memory is all wrong when I say that he usually looked like he was half asleep.
    usuuu: you can use me too, it wouldn't be fair otherwise.

    ReplyDelete