Sunday, March 25, 2007

“You Can’t Always Get What You Want!” [1]

There is a lot to talk about for this bored meeting.
First on the agenda is the induction of one Allison “Chouball” Chou into this blog. A few more names and we will be like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Let me tell you a bit about Chou. Never believe a word of what she says. Half the lies she says aren’t true. What else do you expect from a former employee of a sketchy New York tax firm? Her favoured drink is double vodka on the rocks with a dash of tangerine. She drives a space age Honda Civic and owns a DVD of “Miami Vice”. We look forward to hearing more of her apocryphal stories…

Jae, Amit, Shraddha, and Noah were visiting for the last couple of weeks. It was great fun. Noah and I went to watch Patrick Stewart as Prospero in a superb RSC production of “The Tempest”. All through the show, I was always expecting him to say, “Engage”, but it never came. Later Amit, Noah, and I went to watch Monty Python’s “Spamalot”. Although we had crappy seats, it was a very enjoyable show, but not in the same league as T. However, the best play I’ve seen in the West End is still “The Woman in Black”, which I went to watch twice, once with Kunj and once with Elena.
My Economics teacher is expecting a child in a couple of weeks. They’ve named her Helena, which brings me to the movie “DOA: Dead or Alive” – don’t watch it. We also got around to watching “300”. Quite an intense movie; lot’s of blood and gore but it’s not “Sin City”.
Jae and I went on a Beatles trip to Liverpool. It was an excellent trip, complete with singing along at a live performance (Paul Caspa) at the famous The Cavern Pub. Back in London we went down to Abbey Road and tried hard to duplicate the album cover, but we were too spazzed out to get it right!

St. Patrick’s Day was another experience. We went to watch the parade and the live performances at Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square and topped off the day with a couple of pints of Guinness at The Blue Posts pub. Which isn’t anything special since we got drunk ten nights in a row. We love our party hats.
Wimbledon was a very disappointing outing. Not only were we lost but it also started to rain and the construction kept us out of the grounds. The museum was cool with some stunning AV demos, but for six quid that’s the least you’d expect. All other pictures, at least the good ones are on Facebook.
My plans for Spain and Portugal went down the drain when I told the Finnish embassy to “F*ck off” and cancelled my visa. I can’t imagine why any one would want to go to Finland and on top of that they people at the embassy don’t want you to go either. Gets my vote for worst embassy in the world. I hate Finland. So I’m stuck here in London. Maybe I’ll still go to Morocco and Scotland, but as of now, I’m too pissed off to think straight.
To top things off we have the sad demise of the Indian Cricket Team. 'Tis a sad day when Ireland makes it past the league stage and India doesn't. I will not sulk, not even when Arsenal is beaten by Everton.
[1]: The Rolling Stones. Seems to capture our thoughts.

16 comments:

  1. Haha @ "Engage." I would expect that too.

    One of my life goals is to go to Wimbledon, as well as the other three Grand Slams.

    And the title of your post reminded me of House before The Rolling Stones. Shows where my priorities are!

    Morocco and Scotland...not too shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how right you are. The reason why Jae, Amit, Pragyan and I kept listening to this song is because of the House episode. Then, again, in Liverpool, when Jae and I were drowning our sorrows, the song started. But it's all because of House! hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even that big of a cricket fan, but it feels pretty crappy to be out of the World Cup. I just hope Australia doesn't complete a hat trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Morocco and Scotland don't sound too bad, though I'm guessing the former would be rottenly hot. The Abbey Road recreation would need some serious coordination, like one of those school march pasts. Oe of you could just have gone 'left, right, left'..
    As for those overpaid, over-endorsed sods, I'm not surprised. The great Headbutt of last year was, I thought, more upsetting than this. And we even have a murder mystery on our hands!

    mssqaq: some business firm made up entirely of ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually Morocco is very nice this time of year, not hot at all. The problem with Abbey Road was not the co-ordination, well it was, but the bigger problem was doing it with traffic. There were so many cars that we had to wait and wait till we got long enough stretch of time to do it. I'll put up the pic today, you'll see.

    rrovv: ra ra rove!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:01 PM

    I went for a St Patrick's day celebration here too! Except for the bitter beer, was a lot of fun.All the wierd green stuff sticking out of people's heads!
    Enjoy your Morocco trip. Is it a largely Black population?
    I remember the merchant of Venice had the prince of morocco wooing portia. I always pictured him as Black! Was he?
    Nice pic..

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a pretty good attempt at Abbey Road, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if u look at the pic closely, u should realize that our movement is pretty coordinated. we were doing 'left, right, left' then - at least, tried to. as maity said, traffic was a big problem. it was during peak hours. the pic maity used shows our 20+th attempt to imitate the original pic. one big difference is that we were just three in number.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could always photoshop in a 4th?? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't think I'm going to Morocco now. Maybe after exams, but thanks for the good wishes. Yes the Prince of Morocco does try to woo Portia. He chose the gold casket and found a skull and bones and Portia famously says, "And let all his complexion choose me so." He was black. Morocco is a strange place. They think they're European.

    Photoshop? Surely you jest.

    By the by Maggie, where's Chou disappeared?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, joshing I was.

    And I have no clue where Chou might be. Perhaps she needs a little nudge from you to make an appearance here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traffic? That's brave, and somehow the pic didn't show up the first time I saw the post. Good job, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *echoes floppy*

    You guys look hilariously spastic :D

    I wonder how many millions of people have attempted that photo...

    awwgm: An orgasmic Grandmaster

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to one and all. It was great fun taking that picture, quite the Herculean effort.

    When we got there, we thought there would be people queing up to take this picture, surprisingly there was no one else. Perhaps because the Abbey Road studios had just closed and so all the tourists must have done their walks earlier. But still, just because it's touristy doesn't mean, it can't be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a lot of fun. I still remember those three people sitting on the bench at the end of the road watching us as we made fools of ourselves over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. dude thats a really cool pic... i know that the cricket news is old, but i watched the match till the end it was really sad..
    sorry to hear about your visa.. but you have travelled enough anyway(i'm jealous).
    when are u coming to delhi??
    Inspired by great blog writers (like you), i'm in the process of writing my own blog.. it will just be about cribs in my life..

    ReplyDelete