As our 10 year reunion date approaches, I was just putting together a list of my fellow Class of 2003 DOSCOs who are now married. This list includes DOSCOs who left after A-form as well; so all in all about 80 odd people. Not in chronological order:
So Delhi hosted the 2nd Comic Con this weekend. Among other things, my friend Aniruddho Chakraborty launched his new comic book company: Chariot Comics with three titles: V.R.I.C.A., Damned, and Eklavya: Godslayer. Do check them out.
We were going to host the Comics Quotient Quiz too, but due to "technical difficulties" we did not, so I thought I would just post all the questions here. Be warned this is some cold, hard, geeky stuff... not for the comically causal ones.
I'll put the answers in the comments section in a week or so.
COMICS QUOTIENT QUIZ 1. The Wachowski Brothers claimed that a Masumane Shirow manga - which was also made into a movie and an anime series, was responsible for the visual aspect of The Matrix. Name the manga series.
2. Which graphic novel is the only comic book ever to win the Hugo Award for Science Fiction?
3. Sherlock Holmes lives in 221B Baker Street, in the English translation, where does Tintin live before he moves to Marlinspike Hall?
4. In 1989, the creator of Lucky Luke, Morris, won an award from the World Health Organization. Why?
5. William Moulton Marston, famous as the creator of Wonder Woman, is also famous for inventing a well known instrument which was used to question Nazi POWs in WW2. What was this device?
6. Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, The Daily Planet, and Kryptonite all appeared in a particular format before they became regulars in the Superman comic books. What format are we talking about?
7. In the 1940s on the Superman radio show, a journalist called Stetson Kennedy helped Superman use "Truth, Justice and the American Way" to fight a real world menace in the US. The Radio show put the bad guys on the same moral plane as Lex Luthor and the Nazis. Who did Superman fight?
8. In 1983, Judge Jack Love of New Mexico was inspired by a 70s Spider-Man comic strip where Kingpin was tracking Spidey's movements via an electronic bracelet. What gadget did this inspiration lead to?
9. Masashi Kishimoto, an award winning manga-ka became the 9th highest taxed individual in Japan back in 2006. Name his most famous creation.
10. In 1981, DC and Marvel together trademarked a much used phrase in the world of comic books. What phrase is this?
11. In 1994, in X-Men Unlimited #4, which former member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants was revealed to be Nightcrawler's mother?
12. In 1979, Vince McMohan and Marvel comics struck a sort of a deal linking two of their respective superstars. What kind of a deal was this?
13. Kevin Smith in his acclaimed run on the Daredevil title killed off a major Spiderman villain without notifying the Spiderman editors who were using the same villain in their next Spiderman title. Who was this villain?
14. In the 1978 cartoon adaptation of The Fantastic Four, the character of The Human Torch was mysteriously replaced by a robot. What was the robot's name? Bonus point for the full name. More points if you can tell me why the Human Torch did not feature in the TV show.
15. Joe Carter created the Marvel character The Human Torch, but is much more famous for creating another character for DC, under a different name. What character and what name?
16. Along with Jack Kirby, and Carl Barks, who was the third inaugural inductee of the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame?
17. The Joker made his first appearance in Batman#1 in 1940; which is the first issue of Batman in which the Joker dies?
18. The Hulk's alter-ego's name started as Bruce Banner, but mysteriously changed to Bob Banner a few months later due to Stan Lee's forgetfulness. How did Stan Lee bridge this discrepancy?
19. In Amazing Spider-man #573, writer Mark Waid and artist Patrick Olliffe re-created the iconic Amazing Fantasy#15 cover (where Spiderman makes his first cover appearance); with a television funny man rescuing Spider-man. Who is this famous television funny man?
20. Name the five male Green Lanterns in order of appearance.
21. What is the real name of Lee Falk's quintessential purple clad hero - the 21st Phantom?
22. What is the name of the Archie gang's hometown?
23. In the standard cannon name the three people who have donned the Robin cape.
24. Name the seven original members of the Justice League of America.
25. In Pran's Chacha Chowdhury comics, when Sabu gets angry, what natural phenomenon occurs somewhere?
26. Which Raj Comics character was taught martial arts by Haldi Khan, boxing by Dhania Khan, and marksmanship by Kalimirchi Khan?
27. Which superhero has an Egyptian snake called Saudangi living inside his body?
28. I am the son of trapeze artists Shyam and Radha. I was raised under the tutelage of the different artists of Jupiter Circus. I have the ability to speak to animals and sea creatures. Who am I?
29. Connect the following: the movie The Matrix, Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, the newspaper comic strip Little Nemo, and the video game Resident Evil: Dead Aim
30. I was born in 1957 to an Irish Catholic family in Maryland. My formative years in Hell's Kitchen, New York, influenced my 80s work on Daredevil. My lesser known works include Ronin and Holy Terror. I have won six Eisner Awards, four Kirbys, and three Harveys. I have also made cameo appearances in Robocop, The Spirit, and Daredevil. Who am I?
31. Todd McFarlane wrote and drew Spiderman#1 in 1990 which went on to become one of the largest selling comic books of all-time. After a tiff with Marvel, he started his own publishing company and introduced a new character. The debut comic sold over 1.7 million issues and spawned a feature film and an HBO TV series. Name the character.
32. His first drawing was published in Ripley's Believe it or Not in 1947. His first strip was called "Li'l Kids". His primary character was based on himself, but he borrowed the name from a friend. Another one of his main characters is the mascot of a major insurance firm. Who and which comic strip?
33. The 2005 Keanu Reeves movie "Constantine" is based on which Brian Azzarello Vertigo Comics series?
34. In which Eisner and Harvey award winning comic book would you find The Dog, The Bastard, The Wolf, The Point Man, The Rain, The Monster, and The Saint?
35. Which Nordic Marvel character first made his appearance in Journey into Mystery#83 as disabled medical student Donald Blake?
36. What distinction does the comic strip character "The Yellow Kid" created by Richard Outcault hold in the history of comic books?
37. Which comic strip holds the Guinness Book of World Record for being the world's most syndicated comic strip?
38. This series of comics was created by Anant Pai and published by India Book House. In 2007, the imprint and all its titles were acquired by ACK Media which is digitizing the entire collection. Which well known imprint are we talking about?
39. The last unfinished story had a plot involving the world of modern art, and the story ends as the main protagonist is about to be killed, encased in Perspex, and about to be presented as a work of art. Unfortunately, the creator died on the 3rd of March 1983, leaving the comic unfinished and the protagonist's fate unknown. Name the character and the comic.
40. In Marvel's Uncanny X-Men #390 who dies of the Legacy virus?
41. What is J'onn J'ozz, the Martian Manhunter's one weakness?
42. Name the 7 original members of the West Coast Avengers.
43. In the Spider-Girl comics, why did Spiderman give up being Spiderman?
44. Matt Fraction, the Eisner award winning writer of The Immortal Iron Fist and Uncanny X-Men, once took out a restraining order on fellow Eisner award winning writer Ed Brubaker. Can you tell me why?
45. In DC Comics, Clark Kent has had 3 loves in his life. Name them. Hint: they all start with the letter "L".
46. In DC Comics World's Finest #258 what is the Kryptonian Curse and what does it do?
47. In 1991, Jim Lee and Chris Claremont released a spin-off series starting with X-Men#1 which holds the Guinness Book of World Record for what particular distinction?
48. In 1992, Jim Lee drew and co-wrote a new series for Image Comics called WildC.A.T.s. What does the acronym C.A.T stand for?
49. In DC's Adventure Comics "Dial 'H' for Hero", what was unique about the Heroes Chris and Vicki turned into?
50. Jamie Hewlett created the cyberpunk comic book called "Tank Girl" in the 1980s, but he is more famous for another cartoon creation that he came up with Blur front man Damon Albarn - a creation that would take the music world by storm. What was this creation?
51. In the Calvin and Hobbes comics, what space faring persona does Calvin take on when he is day dreaming? Extra point if you can also tell me what the name of the alien species he is usually fighting in these dreams.
52. Name the comic book that features a 3-eyed cat, cancer-free cigarettes, and a character who likes to say "I don't give two tugs of a dead dog's dick".
53. Name the fishmonger, blacksmith, and bard of Asterix's sleepy little village.
54. Which famous Defender of the Earth's arch nemesis was Ming the Merciless?
55. This famous Padma Vibhushan winning cartoonist's work adorn the walls of Cafe Mondegar in Colaba. The creator of characters like Miss Nimbupani and Miss Fonesca, he had a long and illustrious career with R.K. Laxman and The Times of India. He passed away on the 11th of December 2011 in his house in Mumbai. Name him.
56. Name the single panel newspaper cartoon strip that made R.K. Laxman a household name in India.
57. Which famous webcomic, created by Randall Munroe has the tagline "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language"?
58. This video gaming driven webcomic, first launched in 1998, features John "Gabe" Gabriel and Tycho Brahe as the alter egos of the creators. Name the webcomic.
59. In the DC and Marvel worlds, what is the one universal law that separates the "good guys" from the "bad guys"?
60. Which comic book publication contains characters such as Kalia the Crow, Shikari Shambhu, and Suppandi?
61. In the newspaper comic strip "Hagar the Horrible", what is the name of Hagar and Helga's son? The names of everyone in Hagar's family start with an H.
62. Which superhero was born with the "Curse of Kordax"? Bonus point if you can tell me what physical feature of the character denotes the curse.
63. What super villain was created when Emil Blonsky, a spy assigned to steal the research of Dr. Bruce Banner, accidentally exposed himself to a concentrated burst of gamma rays?
64. What Chester Gould character made his first appearance in the Detroit Free Press on October 4, 1931?
65. Which super-hero grew up on the planet Tamaran?
66. Edwin Jarvis serves as a butler to which super hero team?
67. Which super-heroine was inhabited by the soul of an ancient Egyptian princess after attempting suicide?
68. Who is the Scarlet Witch's twin brother?
69. Which super-hero gained his powers after being exposed to the Orb of Ra?
70. T'Challa, the king of Wakanda, is also known as what superhero?
71. When Bucky was wounded in combat, who became Captain America's new sidekick?
72. Which writer/director of Buffy, and Firefly, also wrote Astonishing X-Men?
73. Which comic book character is named after a physiological test devised by a Swiss psychologist in the 1960s?
74. In which Marvel franchise does Wolverine make his first ever appearance?
75. Which famous comic book author, whose many graphic novels have been made into movies, requests that his name be removed from the credits of movies based on his work?
76. Which X-Men character is Remy LeBeau better known as?
77. Dark Claw is an Amalgam Comics superhero. He is a combination of a Marvel Comics' and a DC Comics' comics character. He exists only in the temporary Amalgam Universe created when the DC and Marvel Universes combine. Name the individual characters.
78. In which fictitious city do the events of Frank Miller's Sin City take place?
79. Which countries are these two X-Men characters from: Wolverine, Nightcrawler. I want both countries.
80. In the events of Batman: Knightfall, after Bane breaks Bruce Wayne's back, who takes on the role of Batman?
81. In the Wildstorm universe, Jenny Sparks aka The Spirit of the 20th Century forms which super team with Swift and Jack Hawksmoor after the end of Stormwatch Black?
82. Which famous 1996 DC comic book by Mark Waid starts with the prelude of The Joker massacring the staff of The Daily Planet including Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, and Lois Lane? Hint: The Joker is then killed by a new super hero named Magog.
83. This inter-company crossover DC comic series by Brad Meltzer (with Rags Morales and Michel Bair), starts with the murder of Sue Dibny, the wife of super-hero Elongated Man and the JLA investigating to find the killer.
84. Which Vertigo comic book written by Garth Ennis tells the story of Jesse Custer in the small Texas town of Annville?
85. Which Vertigo title deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklores that are forced out of their homelands by "The Adversary"?
86. Which manga and anime characters signature finishing move is the "kame-hame-ha"?
87. In the extended Star Wars universe of the Legacy series, which decendant of Luke Skywalker is the main protagonist? Enjoy!