Sunday, September 04, 2005

Tenma Warau [1]

After much deliberation, the name for my Bearded Desert Dragon was put to vote to my fellow dorm members. Incidentally he has been accepted as the dorm mascot and is also the symbol for our unofficial fraternity (which is funny since we have women as part of our troupe!) Chi Lambda Omega. The names up for vote were Notiggy, Fafner, Tonton and Quincy (by popular demand!). The public voted for Tonton (I dare say we have too many Star Wars and Naruto fans around...)

For me, with stories true and apocryphal the semester has begun with a rather overwhelming force. Training workshops, jobs, classes, and the usual crestfall of the mundane college life. At the rate at I'm going L.S.E. looks like a distant dream.

The new freshman batch has come in bringing with itself, the usual, the good and the bad. Perhaps as compensation for being in America, this year the international crop was very interesting. Among others there are a few nice freshman girls and Nelson Mandela's grandson . While the girls have attitudes that say "I desperately wanna be white", Mandela Jr. is well he's like Naseruddin Shah's son back in School. Ah well I guess people said the same things about us when we were freshmen.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I am like a crazy ball who doesn't really identify with any group on campus. For instance, I have many Asian (read: Chinese, Koreans, Japanese et al) friends and I am a part of the Asian Cultural Society and often "chill" with the Asian kids. But somehow, everytime, these Asians break into their vernacular diatribe, I don't feel that sense of belonging, or lack of it thereof. Then there are the rich white kids, my buddies, like James... I spend a lot of time with them. Maybe drink on weekends, smoke, or just play chess and listen to the Grateful Dead, but here too my sense of belonging is lost, for obvious reasons. For the black people, I ain't black enough. Then there are the geeks; movie watching, anime loving, book reading, trivia loving, "I never touch alcohol or any other bad things" geeks. I spend time with those types too, I enjoy their sense of humour - witty and referential and aren't always related to sex or drugs. But since I drink and smoke and party once a while I don't get enough credibility to join their ranks either. As for the Indians, well there are more Nepalis on campus than Indians at the moment. So where does that leave me in this compartmentalized mixed fruit jam? The International Students Union - the group of people caught in no-man's land? Honestly, I don't know, I think I'll just let it pass and not think about it too much. Is it really that important to have a concrete identity?

[1] Japanese Buddha's Laughing.

15 comments:

  1. Hmmm. What you say is very true about relating to people. In IIT also there are the geeky types - the quizzers and so on; referential humour and what have you. But 99.99 per cent of them are "clean". Drinking and smoking (even tobacco) are shady to them. The ones who drink and smoke here are shady.

    We Stephanian types need to stick together, so we can smoke up, listen to the Dead, crack referential jokes about Star Wars, and chill with the vernacks (when they're not babbering in native dialect - did you write diatribe purposely?).

    If you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i sincerely hope you were referring to more than jsut listening to Grateful Dead and smoking pot.
    In Stephen's I don't identify with anyone...but i guess that has its charm too.. Yesterday I was so kicked cause I finally get to meet a konkani family over the weekend(celebrating a festival of ours), just to identify in someway with someone! but that feeling is also only occasional. Its nice u get to spend time with all kinds and then you can tell us stories about all of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wan't saying all stiff onions listen to the Dead and smoke grass ("pot" is so derogatory).

    But in college there existed this hybrid. Probably in other places too.


    So you can't relate to anyone in college?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yohan you suck...(theres more to life and stephens than Dead and smoking pot)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spending time and telling stories is all fine, but the point is that everyone needs a cocoon to retreat into.

    When I first arrived at Hamilton, it was with the resolve that I'll meet and befriend as myriad and diverse a group as possible and not just hang around with the Indian guys and talk in Hindi like most other Indians in America. However, the more I mingled the more disappointed I became with people.

    Reverting back to my discarded idea was impossible, since including me there are only three Indians. Of whom one doesn't speak Hindi. (She's Tamil)

    Finding the Stephanian type - the very laid back, grass smoking, referential joke cracking, all around arbit guy has been a lost cause. I found one, but he's a hermit who only speaks when spoken to...very convenient for his girl friend I guess.

    Madhu, of course, there's more to life than smoking pot and the Dead but to do those other things you need the company (girlfriends don't count, because in most cases they have nothing in common with you... except in a few unique cases) of like minded men and women...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Maity said it all. In any case, I was't saying that was all there ws to Stephen's. I had my share of diversity within Stephen's, mister Mohan.


    Daylit Stephen's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:45 AM

    Hey!

    I've started a community blog/photoalbum/forum/privatemessage/etc/etc website!

    check it out at http://www.ahste.com

    I've reserved your blog sub-domain http://jahchele.ahste.com

    sign in! I'll point it to your blog on that site..

    cya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. Interesting. I find myself in the same situation here. But I blame myself partly because I have this habit of comparing everyone I meet here to the friends I had back home, and they just don't come anywhere close!!!

    One thing I know for sure is, no matter who all I'm hanging out with here, they're definitely not friends for life (long-term). Not that the people I meet here aren't nice, but somehow I just can't seem to connect with anybody on that level with which I connected with my school mates. To put it short, no one here will ever "know" me. Somehow I'm fine with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank ur stars u left in good time. its bad enough that we have press reporters in college everyday with protests and counter-protests. There's some good thats come out of CAT ..you don't have to stick around college and feel downright embarrased. what a pity what college has sunk to...Its just SAD!
    and the identifying bit- I don't think it matters to me that I can't identify with anyone, good friends is all one needs:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. disclaimer:the protests and counter protests have nothing to do with the reporters..grammatical error.its all our new president Maya John and the chauvanistic ch**ts of College.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uff! i should just learn to check what i write. its 'chauvinistic ch**ths'. and good job on the site Chandman!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, things have been rather interesting in and around Stephen's.

    Samuel Allnutt's blog has a rather comprehensive collection of articles on Willy's resignation and Maya's presidency...although I didn't read any of the articles, the general inkling is that things are hot at the moment, which in my opinion makes being is Stephen's even more interesting.

    It's like that big controversy we had at Hamilton last semseter with the Ward Churchill incident...that was by far my best two months in college. maybe I should write a blog about it.

    Ms. V, when it comes to comparing friends, I'm sure you've also found people who're a lot better than those you knew back home.

    And as for beings friends forever, I have a pocketfull of friends who I'd like to remain friends with. As individuals you find a lot of interesting people, but when people coalesce into a clique then it becomes harder to identify. You'd never take your geek friend to a booze bash, or your average white football player to an all Asian anime convention party although individually you may be very good friends with each set. It would just be awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maity...please don't tell me you're comparing Ward Churchill's affair with Willie's attention-seeking nonsense.

    As far as Samuel Scott Allnutt's blog is concerned, I'm curious. Chandna found out that the squatter is from Cambridge (the one in England).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Yoahn, at least in terms of publicity generated and campus involvement, both the issues were very similar to each other.

    Yes, I read Chandna's "Pinged" piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:22 PM

    guy!

    my pinging may have been incorrect, since I find HUMONGOUS resemblance with a certain vij's knowledge about things going on in college to samuel scott's blog!

    Its possible for the site to be his!

    dont ask me how I know.. the internet is one deep dark hole, which I once got sucked into..

    [sorry about leaving my link every where, but it helps my page rank!
    http://www.ahste.com
    http://rainsoakedboy.ahste.com
    ]

    ReplyDelete