Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Best Meals I've Ever Had: Part 1

I like food. I am not the most voracious or gastronomically gifted eater, but I like my food. It makes me happy... sometimes for several days after consumption. A happy meal doesn't always mean the food was very good, or expensive, or the occasion and pomp and circumstance, but always a culmination of all of these. And if you can escape post erratic bowels, then it is truly a meal worth remembering. Here are a few that I remember most fondly in recent years in no apparent order.

Don Jamie's, Adams Morgan, Washington DC
Sunday brunch, sometime in October 2010
Pragyan, Blair, Patrick, and I helped Patrick pack up all his worldly possessions into the back of a twelve foot Budget truck in the sweltering DC heat. As a reward Patrick bought us lunch at this shackish Mexican joint in Mt. Pleasant. We all had the Green Migas - scrambled eggs tossed with crushed tortilla chips and green spicy salsa served with curried potatoes. My mouth waters as I write this.

Cafe de Luxe, Tenley Town, Washington DC
Saturday Brunch, sometime in September 2010
Crab Cake Eggs Benedict on toasted sourdough bread topped with chopped home fries and thick bits of semi crispy bacon. Alex and I were supposed to go to a Thai place in Tenley Town for brunch, but we found this place en-route, and what a find it was. Simply delicious.

Nice Donner Kebab, Nice, France
Post swim lunch, sometime in August 2006
I actually have a photograph of this beach side shack and the scrumptious doner kebab sandwiches they have. Hann and I went swimming early in the morning, trying to shake off a terrible hangover from a night of heavy smoking and drinking with Tru, our French Canadian roommate at the hostel. I had returned to the hostel and retched so loudly and for so long that the landlady thought I had food poisoning and was about to call an ambulance. It was nothing serious... just a drop too much pastis. So after a dawn swim, with the sun and the moon both looming in the horizon on a completely deserted beach, we walked towards our hostel, tired and hungry when we returned to Nice Donner Kebab, a small Turkish run kebab joint. Pure bliss. The simple act of adding french fries into the donner wrap and toasting it - genius. We ate, saw a glimpse of heaven, said shukran and left.

Wok Your Way, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post coffee shop dinner, sometime in September 2010
After a day of walking, Van Gogh, and coffee shops, the one thing that could satiate a man properly was crispy noodles with beef in black bean sauce at Wok Your Way, the center of my world in Amsterdam. Han and I ate here, the same thing, for every dinner, for 4 days. I remember the first time I ate here, Hann and I didn't talk till we had devoured every last morsel on our plates and laid down our chopsticks of destruction. No Chinese food, eaten anywhere in the world, will ever come close to this experience.

Hasty Tasty, Safdarjung, New Delhi
Late night mutton momos, sometime in June 2007


Hotel President, Dehra Dun, India
A Form post ICSE lunch, sometime in April 2001



2 comments:

  1. Wow, did you jot all this down somewhere or did you remember all those details??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these details. If I didn't they wouldn't really be memorable then eh?
    I need to update this...

    ReplyDelete