Tuesday, June 05, 2012

The City Burnt Brightly


Raging towers of inferno
Swirled in an ashen night sky.
Trees looked angry as smoke
Bellowed from their fiery crowns.
Buildings crumbled,
Engulfed in columns of fire.
The billowing ash made the moon
Seem cold, blue, and distant.
Scorched earth and hot sand
Burnt the naked soles of my feet.

The city burnt brightly behind me
As I waited for you at the pier.

Panic swept across
The ordinarily serene harbor.
People ran frantically.
Men and women and children
Families, friends, and lovers
Dashed to the nearest boats
To rescue their
Hopes, dreams, and fantasies.

I waited for you at the pier
With nothing else,
But the memories of us together.

As the boats began to fill,
Mad men threw themselves
Into the murky toxic waters
To swim for the distant shore
I watched in wonder and
Lamented their fall, and

I stood there waiting at the pier,
Wondering where you are.

What lengths we go to escape?
Fight the choking hand
Of Fate and Destiny we might.
But there is no relief
From this mortal coil
If you are not here tonight.

All the ships had sailed away
And I still waited for you at the pier

I stood there alone
As the city burned brightly behind me.
You never came,
But I still waited for you at the pier
Hoping you’ll rescue me,
As the flames danced in closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment