Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Playing Footsie

I’m always up for a good old revolution but what’s happening back home is a sitcom like Curb Your Enthusiasm. Everyday I keep getting these emails, some from Tawakley, some from others with subjects like: Rang De Basanti in Delhi and I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if Che Guevara had the internet… Call me cynical, but isn’t everyone just playing footsie?

I read some of the comments on the articles about the strike. I quote one here. I do not understand what it means.

“Hi, SC Judges,
R U afraid of reserved category doctors? They are also working and ask patients to go to them. Perhaps they will treat the patients Oops i...hope. I Feel SC Judges R very much afraid of reseved category doctors as they would have passed out with 35% marks. Why do u need only the merit students for treating the patients. What a shame?” [sic.]

I thought the Supreme Court gave the striking doctors and students an ultimatum to end the strike, so what is this dude (fireworks was his call sign) complaining about?

But enough of that what else is happening? George Bush plans to kick out the illegal immigrants for singing the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish. Saddam defense claims that the prosecutions arguments are built on bribes and that the many accused are still alive. Pranab and Wen hit it off at the India-China Friendship Year celebrations. EU contemplates listing the LTTE as a terrorist organization.

Hollywood is making a remake of Munnabhai MBBS with Chris Tucker. Fine. Cannes awards Best Actress to the entire cast of Volver. Good. Then Monica Belluci is cast to play Sonia Gandhi in a movie! WTF?

Mac, Windows and Intel – The Devil’s marriage. Google buys Facebook for $2.1bn now Microsoft wants to buy eBay. Bacchan buys a pair of shades for $6000 in NYC. All this money in the air makes me feel rich, and then I find out oil prices have reached $70 a barrel…

On another note, I watched X-Men 3: The Last Stand this weekend and I’m not surprised that I came out of the theatre disappointed.

“If we’re such a blessed country, why did god put all our oil under the people who hate us the most?” Jon Stewart, The Daily Show.

11 comments:

  1. The reservation issue is quite disgusting. Obviously 50% reservation is bad, but do the doctors have to dress up like sweepers to get their "point" across. Read this article.


    In other news...
    What's up? Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonbon, I don't understand the author. She makes as much sense as the protestors. What is she exactly complaining about? That doctors are too powerful to be so irresponsible? As for the foeticide issue, I think it's more to do with the moral fabric of society than the doctor. Also notice how the article starts with the claim "I dislike quotas, especially at higher levels." Let's just keep everyone happy...eh?

    Many of the protestors' claims and demands are unfounded and baseless and the entire protest is structured incorrectly, but the public don't really care because they have already made up their minds. Like many other things in India, the quotas started as a great idea and then succumbed to Indianization. But, I'm bored with this discussion.

    Well I'm still on campus at Hamilton for the summer. I'm working with a certain Professor Bradfield on financial marke theory and working as an intern at Strategic Investments in Utica.

    The summer is rather warm and sunny. It's a shame I have to sit in an airconditioned room for the better part of the day. The summer so far has also helped improve my culinary skills, but there's only so much I know how to cook.

    LSE starts on the 24th of September and I'm done with all my work by the 10th of August, so I have about a month and a half to kill and I think I'm going to back-pack around Europe, but I'm still fine tuning that plan.

    And what's new with the bongs at IIT these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having left IIT some time back, I can look upon my time in Little Kolkata with something approaching...tolerance. Don't Look Back In Anger, and the good Gallagher once said.

    I guess the article was as ambiguous as the issue. I shall hide behind my usual refrain: The Brahmins brought this upon themselves (and upon everyone else) 5000 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha... So are you heading to the motherland (aka England) next year?

    PS: That was a Russell Peters joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hollywood steals ALL Asian movies. (The Ring, The Grudge, The Lake House, The Departed...to name a few) That or butchers them before a US release. They need to come up with their own shit because it's getting out of hand.

    I was also disappointed by X-Men 3. Brett Ratner screwed it up. Is this the last X-Men movie they're making?

    Love the Jon Stewart quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russel Peters zindabad.


    Somebody gonna get a hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:32 AM

    I hope so (the last X-Men, that is). Either that or they need to find a fresh cast.

    Maity, when's the next time you'll be back in the country? I applaud the staying-put-for-summer plan on grounds of pragmatism, but we'd like to see you sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said Nisha (since when have you reverted back to your name, it's a sad day for all floppy hats), I hope this is the last X-Men movie. I don't want to give out the "super surprise" ending, but let's just say I was bored... It's not even as good as fantastic four which at least had Jessica Alba as compensation.

    Staying here for summer and insh-allah going to London and going back home winter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't revert, I just used the 'Other' option on Choose an Identity.

    They need to stop making superhero/comic book movies till they can actually get them right. When Spider-Man 1 and 2 came along it was fun, but now they're all starting to look tired. The odd one here and there is good (Batman Begins,both Spider-Man) but I get bored far too easily and start looking for the bluescreen edges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well let's see what the new Superman movie is like... and Spiderman 3 will be making an appearance soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw X-Men 3. I don't know if it's just me, but Magneto just inspires more giggles than anything, and I hope they're paying Ian McKellen A LOT for doing this. And it's kind of hard to concentrate on anything when there's a boy next to you who keeps going (re: Jean Grey), "She's SO hot!" (which I have to agree with, even if she had all of two changes of expression in the entire film).

    ReplyDelete