Saturday, May 27, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Today marks the death of “Dial M for Mighty” and the birth of “Listening to the Weather”, a new collaborative effort with fellow Hamiltonian Fong-Wai “Maggie” Chan. Together we are like the 3-Six-Mafia but not quite. Now, I hope the blog will be more active than it has been in the past semester.

For those of who do not know Maggie, she is a former spy, maverick hairdresser, and a Senior public policy major.
The past few weeks of inactivity has cluttered up my closet and I need to throw some things out. This is not so much as my usual posts, but rather a required wrap-up of the week's events. The semester is finally over and the summer residents have relocated to the summer dorms. Moving was a pain. In fact, I am still not completely unpacked. I am now working full-time (and overtime) as a researcher for Professor James Bradfield in the Economics department. We are working on a new textbook on the Economics of Financial Markets. At the same time, I am interning at Strategic Investments LLC., Utica, NY in their portfolio research department. Should be a busy summer…
I thank everyone for the kind birthday wishes. Turning 21 is a big deal here. Did not particularly do much – it was still finals week! My friends rented a limo and we went to a restaurant, popped some champagne, consumed considerable alcohol, and smoked “Bye-Bye Twenty” at 5 am in the Graveyard watching the sunrise on May 13.
Here is a shout out to Anusha Pai, celebrating her 21st on the 24th day of May. Wishes from HamTech; hope you had a great lunch and dinner.
Shout out to Amod Prabhu recently engaged to Aditi Tendulkar (no relation)! Congratulations. I will be in India for the wedding in January.
Graduation or Commencement, as they call it at Hamilton, was on the 21st. Hats, gowns, Scottish bagpipes, regalia, diplomas in Latin, the whole-shebang. Several close friends graduated this year and this is to wish them all the best. Here is to the Class of 2006.
Hann Yang: My fellow cynical modern algebra lover, I shall miss you.
Mark Lutenski: We never did finish “Big Trouble in Little China”.
Renny Usbay: I forgive you for not speaking to me a whole semester at ITS.
Minkyu Lee: Fellow social/cultural chair = colleagues at GoldmanSachs?
Kosta Popovic: QED.
Renita Moniaga: Stahnkenomics and Kokernomics left with you.
Andrew Fulton: Mar haba! Insh Allah, akhsub ghani. America, fuck yeah!
Andrew Kay: Forever the “shorts and t-shirt guy”.
Katie Cameron: That bad grade on our DE homework will haunt me forever.
John Champagne: Tune in to the Champagne Report?
Greg Gencarello: Naruto vs. Bleach.
Shin Okuzono: Ja ne. Gaam-baate.
Deenea Shepherd: Where’s the microwave?
David Chen: Asian Glo.
Andrew Lyons: I have to call you boss now?
Sushrut Acharya: Tabla in LA!
Qi Ge: Econometrics at Princeton!
Arezoo Taef: They left so much loot in Griffin Road.
Paul Torres: What is EAT SMA QQZ?
Daniele Roper: Comic relief in Peru.
Shraddha Shah: “Lurking Rrrr Proverb Man Future Plane Priya”.
In the words of Dean Paris: “Na, na, na, good-bye!” You must admit, the guy has a pretty good sense of humor.
There is still much to say. Initially we had plans to drive down to Syracuse for the weekend, but if that does not work out, expect a new post soon. Getting all set to bugger off to London... I think I'll back-pack around Europe for a while in August/September. I have way too much time to kill between leaving Ham and starting at LSE. Any suggestions on what I could do between the 10th of August and 24th of September is welcome. Keep in mind I'm a poor international from a third world country. In the meantime, I bid you adieu.

8 comments:

  1. well thank you for the big shout out. just when i thought i was finally old enough to drink legally, somebody told me that the legal age in karnataka is 18. so turning 21 has no perks at all. and they still don't let me watch A rated movies at theatre's so really at the end of it i'm pissed at the system for not making my 21st bday special. And a big hello to Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... well at least you're not in a country where it's legal to buy a gun before you can drink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! =D

    In regards to Maity's comment: America is backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the legal drinking age in Delhi is 25, so you still can't drink there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa 25?! That's mad old.

    But are there other laws to coincide with that? Or is it only in America where you can be drafted or freely choose to join the army and possibly die in war, vote for the damn President, and buy ciggs and guns that can kill yourself and others before you can legally drink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well we have quite a large standing army, and a very patriotic army at that, and we have never had had to draft men into the national armed forces... but come on hey, this is India we are talking about, there's always something crazy going on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oye, who said it's 25?? bull! and come on maggie, u believed this guy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, drinking age in Delhi is 25, here is the link to prove it:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4478550.stm

    It's BBC, so I think you will agree that it is fairly legitimate. Why do you think all college students throw their parties in Noida or Ghaziabad.

    I may exaggerate, but I never blatantly lie, nor do I ever claim supreme knowledge on everything, but I'm usually fairly confident of my facts!

    Remind me to post my Chandni Bar underage drinking story...

    ReplyDelete