Thursday, June 15, 2006

At The Stars

So there's this new show on NBC called Windfall, which is about 20 friends who win the lottery and each receive about 20 million each (if I remember correctly). It's a drama and it centers around how the money changes their lives, for better or worse. Although it's not the best show I've seen (hardly), it's a fairly interesting and original concept. It's never been the premise of a show, that I've heard of or seen at least. Anyways, this just reminds me of the notion, urban legend, or what have you, that winning the lottery is bad luck because of the consequences. There is an overabundance of stories where lottery winners end up in some bout of misfortune, either it be injury, death, or something in between. Hurley on LOST, anyone? (Come on, someone else here has to be a LOST fan besides me, right?? Right??)

So the question I'm sure you've all been expecting since the beginning of this post: What would you do with 20 million dollars?

Me? Well first, I would buy my parents a bigass house anywhere they wanted. After I bought myself one too, I would pay off my college debt, buy myself a nice car (Ferrari F430 Spider, Mercedes 2007 SL55 AMG, Mercedes 2007 SL550 Roadster, or Porche Carrera GT), do some traveling, maybe buy myself an island (haha...maybe), give a bit to charity, and then invest the rest of it. Life would be grand. Yes indeed.

6 comments:

  1. I don't get this big ass house purchase fantasy... wouldn't u much rather go for lesser possesions... my house is full of shit we just keep coz we might need it "someday"... if i had 20 mil I'd not have to hoard anything coz buying stuff again won't be an issue...

    So, I'd make like another 20-30 grand from selling all my old stuff... or maybe I'd just give it away...
    then I'd put everything in a bank and earn like 337000 (thats in rupees) per month...
    Then I'd travel around the world the lonely planet way till I get depressed from lack of work... now comes the tough part coz i'd wanna start a company in a half intersting industry.... like maybe tourism... I could start a few beach resorts or adventure camps or safaris maybe... after afew years I'd get depressed again coz of working... then I'd sell everything off again (hopefully at a profit) and I'd travel around the world the lonely planet way till I get depressed from lack of work..

    so the only change would be that I'd be able to get rid of all shit we just keep coz we might need it "someday"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, but see, I never said I wanted more possessions, especially those that I would categorize as "shit I'll need 'someday'." Granted, a bigger house means more room to put things but trust me, my house won't be full of that shit.

    And surely, many people want a big house mainly because it's one of the things that is paramount after you somehow get an ungodly amount of money. It's a symbol of wealth, perhaps something you could never have. For me, well...if I had to, I would say my reason can be grouped with the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya, I wasn't saying thats what you'd do... merely reflecting on the fact that people tend to buy things when they get money while I would get rid of a lot of stuff instead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd go the Vaks way, except for the starting an industry in a half dead sector part. I'd spend time working jobs that were previously considered "poor jobs" because they don't pay well enough - like flipping burgers (imagine Donald Trump in the diner making you a wrap), or be a dog whisperer.

    Vaks wants to save money, put it in a bank. Eastern mentally to save money, Chinese savings rate: 40%.

    Maggie wants to spend it all ("invest the rest", I don't think so, an island alone will set you back about $20mil, unless you get one of those compact one-man-islands.) No saving money, US Savings rate -0.6%!

    Hence, we conclude that Maggie is more American than Chinese. QED.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...
    Donald Trump in the diner: Here are your fries, sir.
    Customer: These are stale.
    Donald Trump with his signature hand gesture and hair (if that's what you can call it) flop: You're fired!

    Just to clarify, when I meant "bigass house," I didn't mean a house that costs at LEAST 1 million and one you'd probably see on MTV's Cribs. Hell, just any nice single house will do.

    Haha notice I said MAYBE buy an island. Yes, sad to say I am more American than Chinese. Damn capitalism, worming its way into my thought. But then again, isn't is very...Chinese (or shall I say, at least immigrant) that I'd want to achieve the "American dream"? Hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  6. dude, even 20 million won't last forever... u gotta use it to make more money to "maintain the lifestyle you have become accustomed to"...

    Putting all of it in a bank is about the least profitable way (though least risky) to use money... if i do any less the 20 mil will be gone before i decide what to do with my life!

    so much for the Eastern Mentality...

    ReplyDelete