Thursday, August 03, 2006

Wonderful Electric

Goldfrapp. Without a doubt, my favorite band. Period. If you don't know who they are, I'm not surprised. I only have one friend who knows about them but that's only because I told her. I cannot tell you how many times I've been met with a stare or a puzzled face after answering "Goldfrapp" when asked, "What's your favorite band?" But this year, at least three commercials from major companies have employed Goldfrapp songs (Coke, Pantene, and Verizon) and they have played on both Letterman and Leno. All I can say is...It's about damn time!! Don't you just love it when commercials play great songs you already know? (And great songs you don't too.) Well, I do. In fact, the only reason I am writing this is because I heard "Strict Machine" in that Verizon commercial for their new Chocolate phone.

Goldfrapp has 3 albums. The first, "Felt Mountain," is very much electronic and what they call "trip-hop." The second, "Black Cherry," retains the electronic sound of its predecessor but has a bit of a pop sound accompanied by dance beats. Their latest album, "Supernature," is a conglomeration of pop, dance, and disco with a touch of electronic sound. It's pretty interesting to hear the progression of their sound over the three albums and unfortunately, I cannot upload songs to let you hear this for yourself.

But, here's a Goldfrapp song to whet your appetite. From the more mainstream album, Supernature, "No.1".


8 comments:

  1. Funk techno, eh? So what does Will Gregory do, play the keyboards? It's amazing how some of the most influential bands of this century have emerged from the United Kingdom...

    I've never been a fan of techno funk... some ambient space lounge techno maybe, like Air or Moby. This is my first exposure to Synthpop, it's not so bad, but I'll stick to DMB and Phish etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...then maybe you'll like some of Goldfrapp's earlier stuff...will send you a few on IM. You ever hear of Chungking? Also another UK band...my 2nd fave. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I liked "Strict Machine" and "Number 1" is good too. I tried some of their old stuff, they get pretty predictable though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's getting really confusing who writes the posts. i thought it was mighty who was into "Goldfrapp" and frankly quite surprised. Maggie, are you chinese? I ve been learning a bit of chinese over the summer and looking for someone to try it on..wo hui shuo yi diar zhongwen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just noticed the "posted by maggie".

    ReplyDelete
  6. And why would it be surprising for mighty to be into "Goldfrapp", eh? People make such assumptions I tell you...

    Anusha, maybe if we go back to Nathula, you could hold a much richer conversation with the Chinese guards than "ni hou"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good god the video for "Number 1" is so disturbing...

    Hey did you hear Youtube.com might be shut down?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, a few of their videos are quite weird.

    Anusha, why would it be surprising if Maity liked Goldfrapp?

    Why might youtube be shut down?? Cause of some of the shit they allow on it?? Haha..

    Anusha: Dui, wo shi yi ge zhong guo ren.

    But, I am actually taking Chinese classes myself tho because I originally speak Cantonese, a diff dialect, not Mandarin. This is good tho...I haven't practiced my Chinese since school let out...haha

    And it's ni hao. =P Maity, do you still remember the other phrases I told u guys? Haha =P

    ReplyDelete