Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Meteors Becoming Crash Into Earth

So we become dinosaurs in 2036, eh? It's far away... we have better things to worry about right now... like Keynes said, "Who cares about the long run? In the long run, we're all dead."
The more news I read these days, the more I realise how little I actually know about what's going on in the Asian subcontinent, forget the world. These days I read the news with mixed feelings, I mean, it's depressing when a firebomb on a train is required to bring two governments at war to a working solution. And Mynamar extremists infiltrating the border at Kashmir... that's quite a long hike isn't it, just to get caught by border security forces?
Then when I'm about to lose all hope, you find that there is still good on earth... in Gupta's words "genuine" people - like the Prince of Bhutan.
I'm neither a Nepali citizen, nor do I believe that Nepal is a part of India, lest some people take it the wrong way. I am not an enemy of democracy. I am not an extremist. But to see the "suspended" king of Nepal defend his coup was perhaps the most shining example of "sticking to my beliefs" I have seen in recent time - a time when resolve is easily dissolved in a cup of warm milk. I don't care if the students and the "seven party democracy" believe the king was out of line... after all, people, in general, are stupid; and each day my excuse for the irrationalities in the world is strengthened.

9 comments:

  1. you're just saying that because of my little disclaimer, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on.. I'm IN the country and what's this about the Prince of Bhutan? Nice to see a sign of life out of you, by the way.
    I have a Nepali classmate who very firmly believes the current king was in a conspiracy to have the old one killed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. never said EVERYONE from the country is biased. unfortunately, that has been the general attitude until now.

    good for u if u don't fall under the same category.

    as far as the king is concerned, he is not the biggest issue at this moment. yes, it is true that the whole country is divided when it comes to his involvement in politics. but his last comment was less of a desperate defending move than a 'good luck and we should unite' message.

    cheers to all who showed even the slightest of interest in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude Pragyan I was only pulling your leg.

    @ Nisha: I tried calling you several times on your bangalore cell but it kept saying this Hutch number is out of service or such.

    As for the Prince of Bhutan deal, he voluntarily decided to give up his rights as monarch and is trying to set-up democracy in Bhutan, pretty neat huh?

    ikygj: Neanderthal word for scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about that. I got a Delhi number at the start of this month but if you tried calling while you were still here I can only blame Hutch- stupid Hutch.
    I'd heard of the voluntary giving up, it's just that here I thought you meant something else that was Nepal-connected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you should send me your new number so we can while away time with talk of the last HP book! Apart from that I hope Law School sucks less than last year and the number of lecherous men on public buses have decresed!

    xzxswocb: What one snowman said to the other snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 9871628702. Only till the 2nd of March, though. Otherwise it's the same one that I had in December.
    Law school still sucks. Fact of life. But I'm looking forward to being back in Bangalore.

    ughamda: place Indians cut from en masse in the 1960s...or was it the 70s?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did one snowman say to the other snowman?

    Do you smell carrots?

    ReplyDelete